The present building was largely built in 1302 though it has gone alterations and rebuilding over the centuries. These changes include:
- C15th: the addition of a tower and at least 2 bells in the ; the present font dates from this century – though clearly there must have been one before
- C16th: the richly carved chancel roof and the north aisle were added
- C17th: the addition (or recasting) of 2 more bells in the; there is also a Communion table from this century, now kept in the vestry as well as an oak chest
- C18th: in the a “singing gallery” was built, but this was removed in the C20th. The upper stage of the tower is 18th century, though with earlier material. The church does still have an oak chest, an alms dish and an old clock of this period.
- C19th: the porch was added, though it contains some mediæval materials, and the chancel was rebuilt
- C20th: the current pulpit was added as a memorial to one of the casulties of the First World War.
The Royal Arms
The arms of the monarchs around this time all varied in certain ways; these are the arms of Charles II (1630 – 1685), but with “A.R. 1701” added (although usually said to have ascended in 1702, Anne’s accession was 1701 by the Old Style calendar).
The Churchwardens’ Accounts show payments in 1685 and 1712 to a painter for altering the arms, but there is little evidence of the alterations that should have been made!